SCADA Power Systems Engineer
Who is Epsilon:
Epsilon is an IT Services company that was founded in 2009 and has become an established leader in providing Information Technology services to both Federal Government and Commercial businesses across the United States. Epsilon is known for its solution-focused and innovative approach, aligning technology systems, tools, and processes with the missions and objectives of its customers.
Epsilon’s headquarters are in Weaverville, NC with other corporate offices in Greenville, SC, Crystal City, VA, and Denver, CO. We have employees in 30+ States across the U.S.
Why work for Epsilon:
In joining Epsilon’s team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to Epsilon’s business and customer initiatives, as well as influence our brand culture through people interaction and technology advancements.
Epsilon invests in our employees by promoting from within and enabling employees to elevate their knowledge and skill set in their profession by allocating $3,000 annually in Professional Development funds. We also offer competitive pay, comprehensive benefits through one of the largest national carriers, Paid Time Off (PTO) that increases with tenure and has a generous rollover, 11 company paid Holidays, and 401(k) with immediate contribution.
Where you’ll work:
You will be working onsite at WAPA’s Phoenix, AZ location.
Our Customer’s Mission:
The Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) is a federal agency under the United States Department of Energy (DOE) that manages and operates high-voltage electric transmission systems across 15 western states. WAPA's mission is to market and deliver reliable, cost-based, renewable power and transmission services to its customers, while also promoting energy efficiency and environmental sustainability. WAPA also manages and markets power from 56 federal hydroelectric power plants, which generate clean and renewable energy for 40 million customers.
Epsilon provides comprehensive and high-quality IT support to WAPA in the areas of; Software maintenance and development, Network, Database, and Operations Support/Management, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Cyber-Security, Solution Architecture, and Project Management.
An average day:
As a SCADA Power Systems Engineer, you will conduct professional engineering studies related to power systems operations and/or transmission planning. This position provides engineering expertise in all areas associated with the Regional operations of the transmission system and related facilities. Your typical duties include capturing requirements, operations planning or transmission planning, or a combination of both. In this position you will:
- Direct, coordinate, and review power system planning studies, including power-flow, transient stability, equipment loading, and fault current analyses to identify necessary future transmission projects for meeting system performance criteria.
- Lead planning studies for the development of Regional electric infrastructure capital projects, provide recommendations based on analysis results to address network load growth needs.
- Manage engineering analyses and study evaluating loss policy, system ratings, reserve policies, transfer capabilities, and system capabilities for transmission ancillary services and interconnected operating services.
- Coordinate Western tariff studies and develops scope documents for proposed generation, load, and transmission interconnections, ensuring compliance with FERC Orders and NERC Regional Entity Standards.
- Collaborate with Compliance personnel to maintain or improve compliance levels related to FERC Orders and NERC standards, implement mandatory standards for transmission planning and operation.
- Serve as a technical expert on power flow and stability software, adapt technical characteristics into guidelines for power, energy, generation interconnection, and transmission scheduling procedures.
- Develop and maintain power flow, stability, and short-circuit models for the Regional transmission system, ensure accuracy and consistency with the connected systems.
- Modify software programs and develops tools to improve power flow and stability databases, perform data analysis for system planning purposes.
- Direct operational planning studies for the power system's current day to one year, ensure adequate transmission system performance for reliable operation.
- Provide electrical engineering oversight for developing operating procedures, investigate system disturbances, and coordinate with other utilities on curtailment procedures to optimize system performance.
- As a requirement of this position, all candidates must be a U.S. Citizen. In accordance with 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(2)(C), Epsilon will not consider candidates for this position who do not meet the aforementioned conditions.
- Mastery of electrical engineering principles, mathematical modeling, and practices applicable to the planning, design, control, and operation of high voltage interconnected electrical power system controls and components, including transmission, generation, communications, and control systems involved in the operation and protection of high voltage electrical power systems.
- Experience with SCADA system applications
- Knowledge of power system communication protocols, such as: DNP, ICCP, TCP/IP, serial.
- Knowledge of power system components used in the power generation, transmission, and distribution industry; such as, PLCSs, RTACs, RTUs, breakers, switches, transformers, SEL relays, meters, and other substation or telemetry devices.
- Must be able to pass federal background investigation and obtain a Public Trust
Epsilon is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. EEO/AA: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Vets.
Please click here
to review your rights under EEO policy.
If you are an individual with a disability and need special assistance or reasonable accommodation in applying for employment with Epsilon, Inc., please contact our Recruiting department by phone 828-398-5414 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org