Mainframe Systems Programmer (DB2)
Who is Epsilon:
Epsilon is an IT Services company that was founded in 2009 and has become an established leader in providing Information Technology services to both Federal Government and Commercial businesses across the United States. Epsilon is known for its solution-focused and innovative approach, aligning technology systems, tools, and processes with the missions and objectives of its customers.
Epsilon’s headquarters are in Weaverville, NC with other corporate offices in Greenville, SC, Crystal City, VA, and Denver, CO. We have employees in 30+ States across the U.S.
Why work for Epsilon:
In joining Epsilon’s team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to Epsilon’s business and customer initiatives, as well as influence our brand culture through people interaction and technology advancements.
Epsilon invests in our employees by promoting from within and enabling employees to elevate their knowledge and skill set in their profession by allocating $3,000 annually in Professional Development funds. We also offer competitive pay, comprehensive benefits through one of the largest national carriers, Paid Time Off (PTO) that increases with tenure and has a generous rollover, 11 company paid Holidays, and 401(k) with immediate contribution.
Where you’ll work:
This fully remote opportunity allows you the flexibility to work from home in support of the USDA DISC’s location in Kansas City, MO.
Our Customer’s Mission:
The USDA Digital Infrastructure Services Center (DISC) operates 24/7/365 to provide comprehensive on premises and cloud-based hosting services, including Disaster Recovery, security, and professional support services and operations to approximately 35 federal organizations. The USDA and other Federal partners depend upon DISC’s highly complex and interconnected technology infrastructure to conduct their operations. To better support this mission, DISC is modernizing their technology by transitioning to a continuous integration, deployment, and code-based organization.
An average day:
The Mainframe Systems Programmer reviews all products and processes to verify the requirement of compatibility, maintenance, schedule and implement changes as required and performs routine maintenance on mainframe systems. Supports both OS and hardware upgrades, cloud initiatives, disaster recovery events and the onboarding of new customers. In this position you will:
- Utilize IBM's SMP/E software products installation and maintenance utility process.
- Utilize IBM's Job Control Language (JCL) and utility programs (i.e. IEBGENER) to maintain z/OS software products.
- Utilize IBM's file structure(s): (i.e. HFS, ZFS, and PDS's), TSO ISPF panels, IBM's SDSF and/or equivalent ISV product, and IBM data storage product DFSMS.
- Technical consulting and analysis of new technologies, implementation strategy, and impact to production.
- Independently diagnose and resolve trouble calls in technical areas.
- Develop technical specifications, in accordance with established requirements and schedules.
- Develop and implement technical documentation, in accordance with established requirements and schedules.
- Review proposed policy, regulations, and procedural changes to determine impact on area of responsibility.
- Develop on-the-job training (OJT) programs on new developments in technology and software packages.
- Participate in Agile project management and a DevSecOps culture as required.
- Develop and maintain Disaster Recovery procedures and support periodic testing activities.
- Analyze performance reports and take appropriate action.
- Develop or recommend improved automation procedures.
- As a requirement of this position, all candidates must be either a U.S. Citizen or have official legal status in the United States. In accordance with 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(2)(C) , Epsilon will not consider candidates for this position who do not meet the aforementioned conditions.
- Must have 4-6 years of demonstrated experience as a Mainframe System programmer managing, maintaining and installing DB2.
- Must have direct experience with z/OS Systems, USDA is currently running z/OS 2.4 and actively upgrading to z/OS 2.5
- Must have COTS software support experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in the English language. All contractor employees must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong time-management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to communicate applicable technical subject matter expertise to management and others.
- DISC follows the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) service operation best practices and requires the following:
- ITIL v4 foundation certification within 6 months of hire
- Ability to apply and provide feedback on service operation model and practices.
- Experience with DB2 upgrades (USDA is currently upgrading to Version 13.)
- Will be subject to a Federal Government Background Investigation
- Provide 24x7/365 remote support services and on-premises facility response as needed.
Epsilon is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. EEO/AA: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Vets.
Please click here
to review your rights under EEO policy.
If you are an individual with a disability and need special assistance or reasonable accommodation in applying for employment with Epsilon, Inc., please contact our Recruiting department by phone 828-398-5414 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org